Many families who contact Senior Living Specialists for help finding a housing option for an older loved one aren’t aware of residential care homes or personal care homes. Because they are typically smaller communities located in quiet residential neighborhoods, it is easy to overlook them. But for about 35-45% of the families we work with, a residential care home is the ideal solution.
What is a Residential Care – (Personal Care) Home?
This type of senior living community is known by many other names. You might hear them referred to as adult family homes, board and care homes, adult foster care, residential care or personal care homes. There are many advantages to choosing one for a senior family member including:
- Smaller size: These care homes tend to be smaller and offer more customized care to their residents. It can be an ideal setting
for someone who may feel overwhelmed at a larger senior living community.
- All Inclusive: Residential care homes provide lodging, meals and assistance with activities of daily living (medications, mobility transferring, bathing, grooming, dressing) for residents.
- Staff-Resident Ratios: One of the biggest advantages a residential care home offers is their small size and lower staff-resident ratios. The average staff to resident ratio in a group home is generally one caregiver for every four residents. By contrast, those averages are closer to one caregiver for every nine residents in a larger senior living community.
- Home Like Setting: Another plus for residential group homes (personal care homes) is they look and feel more like home. Most are actually designed to resemble a private home or they some were at one time an actual private home. This type of warm, homey environment may put older adults more at ease.
Average Cost: Range in price from $1,800 to $4,500 per month.
Services Offered Include:
- Personal care (bathing, dressing and grooming)
- Medication reminders and management
- Toileting assistance, if needed
- Restaurant style dining
- Life enrichment programs
- Transportation services
- Wellness programs
- Caregiver on site 24/7
Let Us Help Your Family Find A Senior Care Solution In North Houston
If you would like our help finding a senior care provider who best meets the needs and lifestyle of your aging loved one, please call us today at: 832-993-1905. We are independently owned. Our services are always free at no cost to the seniors or their families.